Global Citizenship Award and Fellowship Program for Appalachian State University Students
The global citizenship fellowship was created by Impact Toolbox and the Transportation Insight Entrepreneurship Center at Appalachian State University to recognize, further empower and connect student social entrepreneurs at Appalachian State University with peers in developing countries. The fellowship is an intercontinental program that facilitates peer collaboration and cultural exchanges to improve the capacity of student social entrepreneurs to bring about social change, one step at a time. Our primary goal is to connect student social entrepreneurs in North American Universities to young social change leaders in Africa who share similar aspirations for social entrepreneurship and global change, in a way that their unique expertise and experiences only serve as a foundation to build strong relationships that go on to achieve these desired changes together.
Who are we looking for?
- Students enrolled at Appalachian State University that has demonstrated a strong passion for global change and entrepreneurship.
- Students who have expressed interest in Global Learning. Students registered in the Global Studies program, participating in International Service Learning, or actively seeking to earn a Global Connections Certificate.
- Students who are members of entrepreneurship, social change, or global development clubs on campus
- Students interested in Entrepreneurship – Students enrolled in a Social Entrepreneurship course or connected to the Centre for Entrepreneurship.
- Students passionate about Global Social Change and willing to connect with others from other parts of the world to pursue the social change they want to see.
- Students who have started their social ventures (Profit or Not-for-profit) have an excellent idea for creating one.
- Earn a global citizenship certificate in recognition of your global mindset and dedication to problem-solving through entrepreneurship
- Partner with exceptional and highly accomplished social entrepreneurs across Africa as you expand your cultural horizon and build life-long relationships.
- Gain access to top mentors and coaches at Impact Toolbox while you tackle a global challenge through your shared project.
- Enhance your resume by highlighting your completed international project and showcasing your award certificate as a global changemaker
Applications are open throughout the Fall semester.
Successful applicants will be confirmed and matched with peer collaborators from Africa at the end of the Fall semester.
Fellows are required to attend a virtual orientation at the beginning of the Winter semester and three subsequent group meetings to facilitate cultural exchange, relationship building, project presentation and Award celebration.
Teams (2 African Entrepreneurs and 2 AppState Student Entrepreneurs) will develop an online advocacy project that addresses a social/economic/environmental issue with at least one Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) at its core.
Completed online advocacy project projects will be delivered either as presentations or written reports at the end of the program, and fellows will be recognized and presented with their Global Citizenship Award certificates at the final virtual celebration convening.